Monday, June 8, 2009

Seth Smash!

Very rarely do I have days where I come home and REMAIN upset/pissed off/annoyed, etc. etc.

Today. Is such a day.

My morning started off alright... Until I got to work. And within the first couple hours of working, I had been pulled into a meeting to be told that I'm incompetent at my job and if I don't stop screwing up, I'll be fired and replaced without a second glance.

Nice.

I'm not perfect. I screw up and when I do, I try to own up to it. Not only own up to it, but be the one to actually say something about it. After all, if I don't, it's not like someone's not going to realize it eventually. They're not morons there, they do tend to pick up on, say... The obvious.

Of course, that's not the only reason I own up to things. I feel you should... It's good character. Good morals. All that other false-sounding, cliched bullshit.

So that was the beginning of my day. Then, the Warehouse Manager came back from a week of vacation and he's kind of "The Man" there, so it was a royal bloody mess trying to put back the pieces of what was once a real company after going without him for a week. It's sad that the company can fall apart like that with the loss of one person for such a short period of time, but apparently it did. I did a lot of running around and bullshit stuff... And it looks like tomorrow might be more of the same.

In the end, I spoke to my friendly neighborhood UPS guy about possibly working for UPS instead. At least that's a real, well-established company... Chances are, though, a bigger company makes people nameless, faceless. They don't matter as much because they're a dime a dozen... And in the end, being on the ground floor of a company and staying there can be highly beneficial if you can make yourself important. While I don't think I'm "The Man" there, I don't think I'm nameless/faceless. I do all of the shipping and recently have been getting more and more into the billing aspect of the company.

As a matter of fact, I was told today that I'm to be properly trained in UPS Billing, whatever that is. Either way, it means I'll be another step toward being hard to get rid of, especially since there's only one other person learning the training we're getting.

In the end, I'm already kinda... Hard to replace. Three people know how to do Shipping, but one is horrible at it and the other is the Warehouse Manager, who has much better things to do. I'm the only person in the warehouse who does all the e-mailing, even though the Supervisor is capable of it. I also do all kinds of running around the Supervisor is against doing because he only believes in getting HIS work done. Now I'm going to be doing billing that only me and one other person, the Administrative Assistant is going to know how to do?

It's an up and down. If I did want to try to go to UPS, I was recommended to work a morning shift for a year or so and then try to get full-time as a driver... I'm highly considering it. After all, if my job is so meaningless as to threaten me for it, I guess I don't matter as much as I thought I did.

Think on that philosophy... Or don't. I don't care.

2 comments:

  1. They might just be trying to say that since their thinking of moving you to a new section, that is a bit more important, then they really don't want you to screw up because then it will reflect worse on the company that they mess up their own billing.

    But, they did it in a wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you misunderstand. They're not moving me out of the warehouse at all. I'm still obligated to do the same things I did in the past, they're just adding more to it.

    I'm also not DOING the billing... I think this training is for how to figure the bill out in better detail. Not to DO the billing.

    I'm basically going to become a resource for the Billing Department to question me over UPS.

    ReplyDelete

Shouting


ShoutMix chat widget