Saturday, June 20, 2009

Scammed and Feeling Stupid

It's no surprise that everyone is feeling the bad economy by now. People are being laid off [A LOT], people are losing their homes [A LOT] and people are just generally miserable [A LOT... Notice a pattern here?!] I am not immune to this bad economy, just like I'm sure you're not. In the end, we're all in a sinking boat and we hope that plugging up the holes with a few corks will keep us afloat long enough to reach the Promised Land (tm)

And sometimes, people make really stupid decisions to try to put more corks in at a time, without realizing the corks are made of sponge and thus, don't stop water for shit.

Confused? GOOD!

Long story short, I'm reading articles [ironically enough, news articles FROM THIS BLOG!] and I start clicking around more and more, reading different bits of news here and there. Eventually, I'm far from the original news article I clicked on from Crossology, but it's still news, right? News is somewhat dependable no matter where you go, right?

Ah, the naive.

I read this article about this woman who loses her job weeks before her husband does. And they find some Google-based home kit on how to make money at home by posting links for Google. And naturally, seeing a good money solution that I could do in my spare time, I check it out and at first, it looks legit. It isn't until I've signed up and been charged $2 that I realize something is wrong and decide to research it a bit. Turns out the company, Profit Studio Learning is a scam and I'm expecting to be charged $70 in about a week which I have to call my bank [again] about to dispute. Turns out, after you pay, they decide to tell you about this extra charge unless you cancel via certified mail. But even people who do that also find that they're being charged anyway and their mail is returned, because apparently the address is to a company that's "moved".

Lovely. The morale of this story is that whenever you're using a credit card online or Hell, even giving our your E-MAIL ADDRESS, please research what it is you're signing up for. Even if it's connected to a bigger company name... That's how places like this get you. You know Google, Google has more money than Bill Gates. So naturally, you don't think paying you a few grand a month is a big deal to them, so why wouldn't it be true?

Well it's not! IT'S NOT, I TELL YOU!

Sigh. There's just no honesty left in this world. It's all very depressing. I can't wait to yell at these people, however... Going to be great fun!

In other news, I went on a slight Video Game Shopping Binge [VGSB for short and future referencing] because Gamestop was having a buy 2 get 1 free sale on anything used [ah, Gamestop... At least I can still trust you!] It's funny because I was actually in Best Buy minutes before walking over to Gamestop and Gamestop is the one handing me the better deal. I kinda feel like I cheated on Gamestop, especially when you consider the fact that I worked for one for about 6 months before being laid off because the former store manager was a thief. Ironically, I also somehow managed to lose my social security card in that store when they hired me and I was never able to find it. By the time I went back to talk to the manager about it [the second manager in 6 months] someone ELSE was the manager and had no idea what I was talking about. Lovely.

I wound up buying Iron Man, Star Wars: Unleash the Force and a game called Legendary that looks really awesome. Originally, I was in Best Buy to look for Iron Man, but I haven't seen it in there for months. I found it in Gamestop and was only going to buy that when they told me about the sale, and like a sucker, I bought more. I played Iron Man for a bit and while it's a lot of fun to destroy stuff, it's also hugely chaotic and just... I don't know. Too easy? Seems like I can't die and that really degrades the entire point to a game. I haven't tried the other two yet and only got slightly into Iron Man, so when I fully test them out, I'll write something up about them.

Can't say I'm looking forward to Father's Day tomorrow. In retrospect, I'm never looking forward to any family outing. I'm sure I'll wind up being miserable, as I'll be spending time with my father and without Bunny, as she's gotta work. I truly hate her job. I wish that scam hadn't been a scam... If I made the kind of money like what I saw in the news articles, Bunny would be able to afford quitting and finding something that didn't abuse her like a mule.

Famous saying: You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.

~Class Dismissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shouting


ShoutMix chat widget