Friday, June 5, 2009

Drawing Board

Ugh. I am personally disgusted with myself. I'm missing TWO blogs from this week! What's wrong with me?!

So many things... Sooo many things!

Either way, I'll probably just write a couple over the weekend to make up for it. Nothing else to be done.

Speaking of this weekend, I'm really excited. A few blogs ago, I started talking about summarizing the characters of Corruption to help me better define them and thus, better create personality for the characters in Re-Birth. I also plan on using this to help me develop the Corruption characters into Re-Birth, as most of the characters go through a lot in between and thus, must mirror this fact in the new book.

I'm getting excited about the idea of writing again. I wish I could do it for a living. Despite liking my job at the warehouse, despite loving the idea of being a history teacher, I would love to get paid for my stories. I feel I'm worth it.

Interestingly enough, my job gave me some homework this weekend. Actually, I volunteered for homework. First of all, I like to help the company out and don't mind doing computer/paperwork. I actually wish I did that instead of the warehouse job, as I feel I'm worth more in front of a computer than lifting boxes. All in good time though. Secondly, though, I'm kind of making up for something I screwed up at work that I'm not sure they're aware of yet.

Thursday night, we had 5 people stay for overtime, myself included. We had an order that was supposed to go out Wednesday and HAD to go out Thursday, because it wouldn't get to our customer's customers until Friday and Saturday, these kids were leaving for a camp. Looking up tracking numbers for the customer, I found out there were three shipping mistakes and guess who's Mister Shipping? Yours truly.

I'm not sure if the issues caused the delays that UPS is saying they can, considering it's all NJ shipping [which shouldn't EVER take more than a day] So while I'm hoping things got worked out and did ship properly, I'm realizing that Monday, even though I might be the golden boy for the work I did over the weekend, I may still be the asshole that screwed up 3 orders. In the end, though, 3 out of 80 isn't too bad... Right? Let's see... Thaaat's 3.75% of the whole order. Huh, that sucks I was hoping it wasn't even a percent, but I guess that's kind of a stupid idea. Three out of 100 would have been 3%, so with less than 100 pieces total, you have to have more than 3%... Didn't think that out.

I actually wish I had done better in my math classes in High School. In the end, it was never that anything was confusing to me, I just hated doing homework. Teachers would tell me they knew I was really smart and could probably do their work and then some without trouble. My response was a cocky "Well, if you know I can blow this work away, why do I have to bother?" I still don't really see a point... It's stupid. If a kid can blow tests out of the water, why does he have to do homework? He's either cheating... Like, cheating really good. Or he can be bloody smart.

I understand the idea of discipline and respect, but some of my teachers weren't worth respecting. Some of the teachers didn't respect any of the students, even if they WERE good students. Not that they were bluntly rude or cruel, but the way they spoke to the kids was sometimes... Well, I didn't like it. And if I'm not respected, I owe no one any respect.

That another thing I never got as a kid. "Respect your elders". How about "Lead by example"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I always respected people who did respect me, but for the most part, as a child, I was never respected to begin with. I think if you respect a child when they're young and bring them up with respect, they'll grow into respecting those people who respect them. It's one thing to do what my parents did and demand respect, it's another thing to actually earn it. Just because someone gives birth to you doesn't suddenly make them all-powerful or worth respecting. Trust me, with the parent stories me and my friends have [without mention any names, of course] we can definitely poke a whole in the parental defenses.

People are so quick to ask "What's wrong with kids these days?", well I'm more interested in "What's wrong with parents these days?". Are we in an ever spiraling decline of crappy parenting? Did our parents' parent's crappy parenting create our crappy parents? Are we going to be even crappier parents to our children, who will in turn be even CRAPPIER parents to THEIR children?!

WHEN WILL IT END?!

So think on that philosophy. You product of crappy parenting.

2 comments:

  1. Generations conflict is nothing new.
    Basically, it's been around since about... the dawn of time, or close around there.

    Yes, your kids will have the same "ideas" about you than you have about your parents.
    And, no, you shouldn't expect anything else.
    Neither should you try to force a different outcome. It's not going to work.

    Either way though, good luck with that "philosophy".

    Why would you respect your kids by the way? (While they still are kids that is)
    All they want, need and right-out demand is money, food, money, expensive clothing, money, total freedom, money, and a phone call before you get back home.

    But that's another philosophy not to think too much about :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth from his iPhoneJune 6, 2009 at 9:40 AM

    All in the hopes I'll be a better parent than my own. Hope is typically wasted on the hopeless, though.

    ReplyDelete

Shouting


ShoutMix chat widget