Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Reload

Lovely. So... Apparently, somehow I'm supposed to know what I'm doing this Monday, despite the person helping me setting it up is on vacation this week and left me without much direction to go in. Confused? Good! That means you're learning.

My UPS pick-up driver at work is a buddy of mine and recently, I asked him if UPS is hiring. He's trying to get me to start this upcoming Monday at a nearby hub for UPS, as a truck unloader and I would love the opportunity to make another $400 a month for another 20 hours of work. However, he's on vacation this week and the last time we spoke about it on Friday, he still had to talk to someone on my behalf about my schedule, because it has to kind of center around my current full-time job and my cleaning side-job there.

So basically, I won't know until Monday afternoon if he was able to talk to that person and by then, I'll have skipped the first day of my part-time job... Not the greatest first impression.

I've already been warned about working 60 hour weeks, of course. My parents have out-right told me they're against the idea of it, mainly because my father worked two full-time jobs at some point before I was born and kinda... Lost touch with reality. While I understand how that could be harmful, I have to express I'm very curious about the idea. My entire memory is very in touch with reality, so I'm interested in what it's like to be out of touch with reality.

Remember I mentioned homework awhile back? Yeah, that blew up in my face. One of the reasons I do stuff over the weekends, I admit, is for the brownie points I earn with the boss and with the company in general. Of course, with that in mind, you have to do it properly and actually give the person what they want. I did neither last weekend. Apparently, the bill was a lot less complicated than I thought and in the end, it was actually something I had not been taught. Figures.

It's one of the things that worries and annoys me about my job. It seems, sometimes, like they either expect me to know things I don't or to merely pick up on things that no one else does. Pardon me for being... Average? I think I mentioned recently that there's a few people being trained for the UPS billing at work, and that I am one of them. It seems like because this training session is scheduled, I was supposed to understand a fairly complex bill and be able to work miracles with it, when this is really the first time I've ever had to deal with any kind of bill in this degree. Ever.

Yet... Somehow, me not knowing and doing the best I can was not only NOT met with understanding, but actually earned me a nice little session of being yelled at by my boss which infuriated me to the point where I left his office once he was done, collected my things and threw them all into my car, every intent to drive home at about 9 AM in the morning, only an hour into our work day. Naturally, this would have signified that I had quit. The only thing that stopped me is one of my co-workers who understood part of the situation and was there for our boss screaming at me and somehow either saw I was furious or merely knew I was about to do something in a rash action that I would regret later. She calmed me down and I returned to the project with a renewed urge to complete it, albeit if only to rub it in my boss' face that I was no, in fact, useless.

We should all know by now that I'm big on respect. We should all realize that if I feel I'm disrespected, my infamously short temper will flare and I'll probably light a few houses on fire. So, the temper flared and before I could set any fires, I was almost forcefully calmed down and in the end, it didn't turn out so bad. As a matter of fact, my boss came back at some point and apologized, saying that the stress of the situation was what was getting to him, not me or any person. I even asked my little savior later on if she had TOLD him how upset I was and she told me no. Meaning he apologized merely to apologize. So... I guess some days don't end as badly as they start out. But does that mean that sometimes they don't end as good as they start out?

Think on that philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shouting


ShoutMix chat widget