Friday, May 8, 2009

Weapon XXX

So. X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

AWE. BLOODY. SOME.

That's all you really need to say about it. There's nothing else. Details? Plot? Acting? Pft. It was amazing. For Marvel fanatics, it was almost a religious experience. They followed the general plot behind Wolverine so well, it was beautiful. And for the first freaking time, GAMBIT WAS IN A GOD-DAMNED LIVE-ACTION MARVEL MOVIE! I know everyone loves Wolverine... He's the poster boy of the X-Men team [despite facing them a few times, regardless of which version of the story you read] But c'mon. Gambit has always been a famous, hugely popular character. People love the Ragin' Cajun mutant. I mean... He's a reckless staff-wielding street thug who makes crap explode! THAT'S MARKETABLE TO TODAY'S KIDS!

You know, I was still kinda annoyed that Gambit had such a small part. I mean, all he was in the movie was a few fancy moves where he got his butt kicked in the end, transportation and then a bit-part savior at the end. If anyone has a lot of history to his name, aside from Wolverine, Gambit might be it. The war between the Mauraders and the Morlocks. Working with Mr. Sinister. Becoming Death of the Four Horsemen for Apocalypse. Lover to the amazingly powerful [and hot!] Rogue. I mean, there's no end to how much stuff you could bring up in Gambit's life to make a movie about. Hell, have the Morlock/Maurader war be the climax and at the end, he saves Marrow [mutant baby girl] and get contacted by the X-Men, while secretly vowing not to tell anyone his part in the war. Perfect cliff-hanger ending for Gambit 2.

I did like the array of mutants they did use, mostly guys you haven't seen before. Sabretooth was completely re-done and I like how he looked a bit more normal, as it gave him more possibilities to do things in public. The Sabretooth they used in the X-men Trilogy looked cool, but there was no way he could walk around NYC or something and NOT be noticed. Sabretooth in Origins could pass for human if he didn't smile too much and kept his nails down.

I noticed that they made Sabretooth's real name Victor Creed... I know a lot of the comics used that name for him, but the first time Wolverine's "Origin" story came out in a comic, Sabretooth's name was actually "Logan", named after his drunken, abusive father who was the groundskeeper at the Howlett mansion, where James Howlett lived and eventually became KNOWN as Logan after killing Sabretooth's father. The beginning was almost completely similar otherwise... Except for the lack of Rose. James [Wolverine] as a child WAS really sick and everything, but he was taken care of not by "Victor Creed", but a girl named Rose who ran away WITH Wolverine when he killed Logan Sr.

I know. I'm a comic nerd. Can't help it, I know what I love.

ANYWAY. The movie was the main cause for the lack of update yesterday, but as you can see, I'm making up for it now with a rather lengthy entry now... And it's not over yet!

I'm a little nervous about this weekend. My revolution was to write an entire chapter of... Something. I think for the first weekend, I'm going for Re-Birth, as I've been dying to re-write that for some time now. But I haven't written anything in awhile and every time I go through writing-hiatus, I worry about rusting up too much. I also know this weekend is Mother's Day, and that's going to obviously cut into the time it'll take me to write. Of course... If I write the way I used to write when Corruption got done every other week, I won't have to worry about that.

When Corruption was really HOT HOT HOT amongst my friends, I wrote an entire chapter in a night. I was typically up all night with the T.V. going on in the background, muted. Sometimes I had music in my headphones [Don't forget, I was at my parent's house, in their basement with both my parents sleeping above me. I could only make so much noise without waking them up and getting reamed out for being up and forcing them to follow suit.] And it would be non-stop writing, only stopping to breath or hit the potty [Yeah, that's right. Potty. Deal with it.]

I do miss it, though. Writing, Corruption, Kranin, all of my characters. I still get random scenes in my head that play out like watching T.V. I try to write them down, but by the time I get the time to do the writing, the scenes changed in how the words come out, and I just don't like it as much. Most people don't seem to mind anything I write, but I always wonder if my friends are just biased... I guess that's another reason I always try to put my writing online, hoping that while I'll get mostly good comments, that I'll still get some kind of gruff from someone... I guess that kind of reaction proves that not everyone's just being nice to me. There are people out there being real to me and hopefully all the good comments [or at least most of them] are being real, not just nice.

People are so rarely "real" with one another. That topic came up at work today, interestingly enough. At least, it did in my mind. My supervisor and I were in the back when the CEO's administrative assistant came back to drop off something for shipping and we all started talking about a minor event that had happened the other day. My supervisor had a rather loud argument with the head of the NFL account, who's kind of a suck-up to the CEO [who, in turn, tends to favor the NFL guy] about a shipping problem. In the end, my supervisor was yelled at for relatively stupid reasons [with everyone else in the office AGREEING the situation ended badly]

But the topic came around to people saying things about other people in the work-place and I guess it got me thinking. I don't say anything behind anyone's back. Everything I say to you about someone else, that person can ask me and I will repeat it all right to their face. Even if I'm friends with that person. I could be BEST friends with that person. I will turn around and with a serious, straight face, tell them exactly what I think of them at any given moment. It's cliched and corny, but "honesty is the best policy" is a great motto, in my opinion. If you're completely honest with people, then people you don't like probably won't stick around and people you do like will know exactly how you regard them.

Most people will argue that how I handle the situation is an extreme way. It's "too much", it's unnecessary... I disagree [while respecting their opinions] I understand what they mean, it can lead to hurt feelings that may or may not be intended. I could be best friends with you, but if I think you're doing something bloody stupid and tell you, you might not like it. In the end, I have to both accept and respect that, but I can't really imagine turning around and telling you I'm okay with something I find wrong. That exact same thing has actually happened to me before, but that's someone else's personal business in the end, which isn't my place to post publically on a blog [whether they read it or not]

I guess in the end, I want to be remembered for speaking my mind and not being sneaky or a liar. I would rather be an asshole than someone people couldn't trust.

So think on that philosophy... If you can trust it, to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shouting


ShoutMix chat widget