Tuesday, May 12, 2009

System Security - BEWARE!

Okay, so last night I started getting pop ups from a program called System Security, claiming tons of viruses and other forms of baddies were infecting my computer. Now, I didn't think much of it as I know some of the sites I go to have cookies and other kinds of things that sometimes these security programs pick up on [whether I think they're dangerous or not] so I exited the first few boxes. Then it sent me something else.

Some kind of key logger was trying to steal my personal information and send it through my internet connection. Now, I do a lot of my personal stuff online. I've used my bank cards, I've logged into my bank accounts, I've signed into all of my personal e-mails and whatnot. My entire life is probably easily stolen from my PC if you know what to look for. If I really had a key logger, I was screwed.

Except I didn't have a keylogger. Or if I did, it was FROM the System Security. It started asking me to pay for it's service and luckily I didn't have the money in my account. I was going to have to wait... So I attempted to use my PC without signing into my personal stuff, knowing that if the keylogger was new, I wasn't too worried for the moment... It could wait a day or so and all I'd really risk losing is maybe some Myspace/Facebook passwords. Who cares?

So I started doing my general crap on the computer and the System Security continued to pop up every five or so minutes... Which is weird. Even Norton, the previous [legitimate] security software I had previously been using [which expired] never bothered me this much. It actually seemed more like a virus that ran constant pop-ups. And I realized that while "System Security" had a very professional-looking interface... I had never heard of it. Thus, I Googled it.

It was a virus. Designed to look as professional as I had believed it to be. It gets you to install it and starts shutting systems down, claiming these problems are from Trojans and Viruses that have been inhabiting your computer for some time. It gives you the idea the only way to get rid of said baddies is to buy it's services.

I was lucky I didn't have the money in my accounts. I probably would have done it without realizing what I was doing and tonight instead of cleaning my laptop up, I'd most likely be fighting identity fraud.

BEWARE SYSTEM SECURITY! If you do get infected, Googling it should help you find a few answers. That's how I found mine... For a hint; bleepingcomputer.com

After a battle with System Security, a day without my computer, I guess I'm kinda tired... And lazy. And what do I care? Since, after all... Here, I control EVERYTHING! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

Think on that philosophy! ... Or else!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shouting


ShoutMix chat widget