Friday, May 15, 2009

iPhone ahoy!

Okay, so aside from the fact that it didn't work, it was kinda cool trying to post a new post for this from my iPhone. I tell you, I've been playing with the damn thing so much, it's sad. I even sat with it playing music for most of my break on work today.

Which... THANK. GOD. IT'S. FRIDAY!

I don't think I could have done another day in a row... Had they asked me to come in for a Saturday, I'd probably have simply started laughing as I walked out. With this mailers thing, I just couldn't take it. Plus, with such a huge project, a lot of other things started falling behind and it got to the point where everyone was blaming everyone else for everything going wrong and I was getting fed up with it.

I'm getting tired of doing everything at work. I come in 30 minutes early everyday and it seems like I still can't always keep up on things... We check the Wall of Shame [where we put merchandise that doesn't have orders or if only a part of the merchandise came in] and that's become "my" responsibility. My boss never does it, he has me do it. And when I don't do it, even if I mention I haven't gotten time to do it, it just doesn't get done. I e-mail all our customers about problems with their orders. I handle all the questions from the office unless it's something with billing and that's only because my supervisor doesn't seem to want anyone else talking to the people he talks to for billing.

I do all the shipping and when I don't have time to help my supervisor with the receiving, he gets pissy and starts storming around with an attitude. I help him and the NFL guy with moving around the warehouse. I check in the new orders.

Lately with this one big project we've been doing, we've had multiple technical support issues. Guess who sat on the phone with technical support for the entire day? Was it my supervisor who should be in charge of the situation and dealing with it? NO! It was me. For hours and hours at a time. Figuring out what was wrong, who to call, what to do. Not my supervisor, ME!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to make it sound like I'm being egotistical or anything like that, but I feel hugely under appreciated. Why am I doing almost everything? Why does my supervisor do virtually none of the responsibilities in the warehouse by himself, but I do? I have "my jobs" but I'm also expected to help my supervisor with everything he has to do.

Recently, however, I have picked up a trick from him. I deal with a lot of people... UPS, our customers, various vendors or other important people. And instead of having them call the warehouse, I've started giving out my cell phone number, too. UPS Tech Support actually specifically has my phone number on file for problems, not the warehouse's. That means that if something goes wrong, they'll want me there, too.

I don't really like it... I mean, I'm not worried about my cell phone going out there to customers and stuff... But now it means I have to answer my phone if it goes off. It also means that if I take a day off, I'll be getting calls for issues I don't understand what's going on. But in the end, if that's what's going to make me a bigger part of the warehouse, so be it.

In the end, the whole week stressed me out. I'm tired of being told everything going wrong is because I'm not doing my job when I'm doing everything I can. I know everything's falling behind, I don't expect someone else to suddenly start doing everything for me, but that's the problem. NO ONE WAS HELPING ME WITH IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! When my daily schedule is packed to the point where I don't have time for ANYTHING ELSE and then you put me in charge of a major part of a major project, you either have to get more help in this area for me to not fall behind, or at least REALIZE AND EXPECT some things to fall behind.

I'm not Superman. I'm getting sick of everyone assuming "OH, Seth will fix this." or "It's okay, Seth can do this for me so I don't have to." The worst part? Some people will turn around [when I complain] and tell me "It's part of your job. Get over it." AND THE BEST PART IS?!

It never was part of the job. I have started doing so many things that I've heard from this person or that person that, when there were other people before me, these things were either done by OTHER PEOPLE as THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES, or not done at all. No one in the warehouse did spreadsheets. Warehouse people didn't do the NFL Tracking Numbers, the NFL Office guy did. Warehouse people didn't ship the pick-ups, the Warehouse Manager did. TONS of things weren't done properly or as efficiently as they are now that I'm here. But now they are.

And people are taking advantage of that. It's only a matter of time until it pisses me off enough to start taking things away.

So think on THAT philosophy. Before I take that away, too.

3 comments:

  1. To post to blogs you have to find an app to do it. I know there is one, just don't remember what it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally find out for me because I'm last and you love me like that ^.^ it's probably something stupid like iblog O.o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops... I meant lost O.o Sorry, message from iPhone, still working on the keyboard stuff...

    ReplyDelete

Shouting


ShoutMix chat widget