Monday, May 11, 2009

Hail Mary

I am not a completely heartless monster. I tend to hold grudges and be a jerk for a lot longer than most people. While most of my friends can be cool with people who do stupid, sometimes mean and heartless things to them, I tend to hold something against those people for long, long periods of time. Sometimes, it even creates fights between me and the hurt party of those situations because they eventually feel I'm creating another problem or being mean to someone who no longer deserves it.

I admit that I can be a lot worse with this than... Well, most anyone you know.

And you know what?

I am damn proud of it.

I realize people screw up, people make mistakes and people sometimes do things that even they regret, especially when they're angry. God knows I've said and done things in the midst of my own anger that I later regretted and had to be forgiven by my friends for. But in the end, I just don't get people. "Friends" or family can be so cruel to these people and some of them will turn over the next day with forgiveness, telling me that they can understand the other person's point of view or that they just don't care anymore.

I guess that's a good quality to have, not having to always care or get worked up over people doing you wrong. It probably makes for a much more relaxed life, but I wouldn't know. I'm big on a few things and respect is one of them. Most of the things that my friends get into fights with other people about have to deal with being blatantly disrespected and I don't understand how people don't care about that. I do a lot at work, for my friends and for my family. I have sacrificed or changed or striven to do better. I have improved when I even felt that personally, I had no real reason or personal benefit from trying to do so.

And I will be DAMNED if I do not get the respect that comes with. Don't get me wrong. I'm not doing the things I do for respect. A lot of the time I do it for [famous words coming up here] I simply felt like it.

Why do I pay for my friend's food when we go out?
Why do I have my friends over here when I know they just really want to get away from their family?
Why do I buy people gifts just because I think they'll like something I randomly see in stores?

Because I want to. If anything, me doing things for people is selfish. I do it because I want to, whether they feel awkward accepting it, indebted, whatever. I don't really give a damn how they feel about the act, so long as they enjoy what I'm giving them in the end.

But at the end of the day, I expect some respect. And typically, I get it. Hmm.

Perhaps I don't truly care about respect until I don't have it/aren't getting it. I don't think I really think about how respected I am until I'm disrespected to a degree where I have to stop and realize that I think I deserve more. [Wow. THAT didn't sound egotistical or anything, did it?! ... Note the sarcasm oozing out of your monitor screen]

The forgiveness thing, though. I can't understand it. People need to be shown that they've really affected you, in a negative manner. If they don't understand that they've wronged you, what's to stop them from doing it again?

Think on that philosophy. If you can.

4 comments:

  1. Hm. I think lifes to... something or other. Either way. I don't enjoy life by holding grudges, feeling angry and upset.

    Hell, shit hits the fan and happens. Oh well.

    People disrespect me, oh well. I don't have to be their friend or get their respect. At the end of the day, I am the main character, the star. Everyone else is just side characters.

    I rather live happy then live with grudges with some side character.

    Not to say you do, just saying my feelings on things like that.

    And on another note, your blog has a way of maknig me think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep in mind, the people who disrespect me I'm talking about are people I deal with on a daily basis. It's not like some random person. It's my work associates, my friends, my family.

    Constant disrespect isn't as satisfying as you may want to make it seem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that respect should be given to me whenever someone asks me for honest criticism (or asks me to write something). People blatantly don't read the damn newspaper at my hometown. None of my peers witness the work I put into every sentence besides the editor and my teachers. Yet, when fellow students want to hear my criticism, they are always reluctant to fully receive my comments (which I strongly believe are accurate and relevant). Maybe it's because our (you and I) standards are higher than the average Joe in certain areas of life. Or maybe we're just jerks who secretly hate life, and we'd rather dangle on a rope than spend another day in this daily toil that we dwell in. Then again, maybe we're obsessed. Men of passion. And if so, we should watch ourselves. Those who burn with an uncontrollably fierce fervor are usually scorched alive, friend.

    Think on that philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me awhile to reply to this, which I guess is because I really had to think about it. I like to think I'm no an egomaniac, but I recognize certain signs in my behavior and whatnot that basically says the opposite...

    In the end, you can't always get what you want [but if you try sometimes, you just mi- ... Sorry. Song moment] and I guess some people will never respect you, regardless of whether you think you deserve it or not. In the end, you have to realize that people have their own perspectives on whether or not you deserve respect and I may not deserve as much respect in their eyes as I do in mine.

    I'll have to live with that, learn to adapt or basically manipulate the situation until i get what I want. Personally, I'm all for option 3!

    YO ME GUSTA MANIPULATION! WOO!

    By the way.

    I am THE philosopher, buddy. I think, therefore I am.

    ReplyDelete

Shouting


ShoutMix chat widget