Monday, February 15, 2010

Lunch Time Crusades, Pt. 1

I'm at work at lunch, re-reading my past blog and I decided to do a minor update. The idea of the map for Corruption was harder than I thought, as I'm apparently not great with winding roads from an overhead view. I did manage to decide on where a number of important places will be, such as the homes of Elizabeth and Jessica, the location of the school, where the forest and thus, New Blood will be, Alexander and Thomas' temporary homes and that is progress. I just have to fill in the lines where they apply. I've gotten some down, but not everything.

I also started another bit of work with the character development. Feeling like my map idea was somewhat of a failure, I resigned the idea past mapping important places out and instead focused on the characters. I'm beginning to make a bigger deal out of smaller characters, so I needed a list of characters that appeared throughout the book.

To obtain this list, I flipped through the chapters, only really skimming the writing itself to see who appeared when and listing them in that order. I didn't finish this project either [seeing the pattern, here?] but I did create some kind of progress.

I'll post the list when I finish it later today, as I've just decided is the deadline for it.

I've already started changing or defining more about the characters, namely Thomas Jensen, Elizabeth's father. I've determined that he will be a lawyer and will appear in Book 2, where he'll either be killed or just disappear from the rest of the series after his scene or two with Elizabeth. I won't give out too much more information, as I am trying not to ruin too much.

I find myself surprised by how off-timeline the story is. I jump whole days in a single chapter from the first half to the second half and then it seems like most of the book itself doesn't really define the time jumps. Well, to put that better, I rarely put how much time has elapsed from one portion to another and when I do, it's shockingly huge amounts of time. This disturbs me as the entire book was really supposed to happen within about a week, maybe two as both Thomas Stinda and Alexander had to work fast to complete their goals. With the way it's written, I believe the book took place over the course of a month. I really am in shock of how careless I was with timing. This will be changed in the future as well.

Ah, well. These crusades are time-orientated and it would appear my time is up. Back to the daily grind before it grinds me down, hmm?

~Time's Up~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shouting


ShoutMix chat widget